Monday, June 2, 2008

June 2, 2008 - Parkersburg, IA Tornado

We have been in Parkersburg for several days now. We have grown close to the local emergency and government officials. We are no longer staying at the hotel but at County Sheriff Johnson’s house. Our main effort here has been opening up roads. The main highway going through town had piles of debris 30-40 foot high. It was difficult and dangerous for people to drive through because visibility was so bad.

We usually just push debris aside but in this case there were so many houses piled on top of each other – covering a vital road – that we had to remove the debris to the edge of town. When Chris and Jason asked what they could do to help, I said get me dump trucks because dump trucks are usually what is available in most parts of the country.

Jason and Chris took me seriously because dump trucks arrived from three surrounding counties, and for the past few days we have been moving hundreds of truckloads of debris off the main highway.

Today is the day they are burying the husband and wife who died together. The funeral precession came right through the main road where we were working, and we all stopped as everyone drove by. I just can’t seem to get used to this. I can get used to houses and cars being destroyed but I can’t get used to death. It stops me in my tracks every time and makes me think.

After all the cars passed we kept at our work. The truck drivers could not believe we were loading them so fast, one after the other, each truck only taking 1-3 minutes to load. We are tired though – it’s been a long storm season and I know it’s not over yet. We should be done here in Parkersburg in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment