Tuesday, June 10, 2008

June 10, 2008 - Indiana Floods

Flash floods began to hit all over Indiana without much notice. Main highways were washing out, and we knew help would be needed. We said our goodbyes in Parkersburg and arrived in Indiana early this morning. We visited a few communities that were hit the worst. One of them kicked us out. The emergency official said to me, “This ain’t my first rodeo, son. I know guys like you – you offer your help and in the end slip me a big bill”. This is the second time this has happened to me where people just can’t believe all the equipment is here for free. But I did not have time to allow my feelings to be hurt. So many communities are devastated in this area, and they need our help. I tipped my hat and wished him the best and turned and walked out of his office. When the men and I were getting in our trucks people were crying and asking, “Where are you going?” I had no choice but to explain that the local authorities did not want our help. It was hard for me to drive out of that city. There was a nursing home that needed power and many washed out roads that needed to be filled. We could have done so much there but I will always respect the leadership in charge. It is their city, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment