Saturday, May 12, 2007

May 12, 2007 - Greensburg, KS Tornado

The days are getting longer. It’s 3am and I just got to the hotel. I want to write now so I don’t forget these days but I just can’t seem to keep my eyes open.

We finished demoing the house and cleaning up the lot for the man who lost almost everything. It was a bit emotional for me. The Prentice loader and hydraulic head would reach down and grab large pieces of debris such as walls, roofs, couches, beds and kitchen cabinets. We then crush and pull them out of the former home site and place the debris in the large metal boxes in front of and behind the crane.

This man’s wife who was killed must have loved making clothes. There were rooms full of magazines and books on how to make dresses, cabinets full of fabrics and closets packet with hundreds of colorful dresses. It was a bit surreal…the sky was so blue but the wind was blowing hard. Each time I would lift a pile of clothes to place in the truck, the wind would blow some of the dresses out of the grapple claw and the through the air.






I wonder if life is more precious and more of a gift than I often consider. I hope I can remember to try and make each day count. If I was this man I don’t know how I could move on. All over this town I see where people have painted on brick walls, sides of homes and cars “God Bless Greensburg”. God if you’re out there…please bless Greensburg. Have you ever heard that statement before “live everyday as if it was your last?” This place is sure making me think a lot about what is important in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment