Monday, May 7, 2007

May 7, 2007 - Greensburg, KS Tornado

I slept in my truck last night. I did not want to pull out and leave the city in order to find a hotel. I think it would be best to stay close in case something comes up and they need the crane. I brushed my teeth standing next to my truck using a gallon of water. The Red Cross is starting to come in with food so it looks like I won’t have to worry about food while I’m here. Most of the town is gone anyway so there would be no way to buy food.

Doyle asked me this morning if I would take down what was left of the firehouse. He said it will be the first building they will want to rebuild. Of course I agreed and began the process right away. Instead of just throwing it to the side, I loaded it into our truck, which holds 120 cubic yards. I then hauled the debris to a farm field, which Doyle said they would use as the new dump.


While I was working on the firehouse, a group of local farmers came up to me and asked if I could come over and help disassemble what was left of the bank. When I asked why, they explained that it looked as if three large metal rafters had damaged the vault and water was beginning to seep in – which could possibly destroy important personal documents such as deposit/withdrawal slips and deeds to farms. I agreed to help and within 3 hours – and 8 Mennonite farmers equipped with sledgehammers and a chain saw – we finally accessed the vault. The vault is now covered with a temporary roof to protect important information and valuables.


Hotels within a hundred mile radius are full! But I met someone who is graciously allowing me to stay in his hotel room whenever I can find some time to get some sleep. I met him yesterday morning. He came up to my truck and said, “What are you doing here with this equipment? There are no contracts for any work here.” His name is Ken Graham and he works for a company called Philips and Jordan. He seems like a nice man and supposedly his company played a major role in cleaning up the disaster in NYC that happened on 9-11. When he heard I was here to help out for free and that there were no hotels available for 100 miles, he told me I could stay with him at his hotel about 35 miles out of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment