Friday, May 11, 2007

May 11, 2007 - Greensburg, KS Tornado

It rained today. The water began to wash away the dirt and dust that covered the roads that were now cleared, and I could see for the first time the black asphalt of the roads. The firehouse is almost completed, and I began looking for other people who were in need.

A man pulled up to the crane truck and offered me 250 dollars an hour to clean up the lot where his house used to be. I kindly explained that although the money would be nice, I was here to help people who could not help themselves. I explained that contractors would soon be coming in to help him but I was looking for people who did not have money to clean up their homes, had no insurance or were underinsured.

He first looked at me like I was nuts, but then he was so taken aback that I was helping his community in this way that he responded by saying, “Son, if you need anything while you are here just let me know. I have another home 20 miles outside of town. Whenever you need a clean bed and a good meal, you give me a call at this number, ya hear?”

I’ve been so impressed with the ability of these people to remain positive and persevere in the face of overwhelming obstacles. Many of the farmers who live on the outskirts of town are here with hand tools, pickup trucks and anything they have to help the community.

I needed to get around town and find out where I could be of most help. I had a new F150 Pickup truck in the back box of the crane. I hooked up the aluminum ramps, drove the pickup out and began to drive around and talk with people. I just started talking to random people everywhere. I pulled up to one man who had some sort of homemade bandage wrapped around his arm. You could tell the bandage was not working because blood was all over his arm and hand. He told me about a man who lost his wife in the storm. She was in their home when the tornado hit. The house had no basement, and there was nowhere to hide. But there is more –his business was destroyed and his only employee was killed. When I asked where he was, this man whom I just met explained the guy was at the hospital, visiting his father-in-law in the intensive care unit.


The local church in Greensburg contacted the man, and he agreed to have his lot cleaned up. Whether he has insurance or not, we are going to help him so he does not have to worry about getting his property prepared to rebuild again. I’ll start on it tomorrow and work with a group of local high school kids who can help rummage through the mess and set aside anything that may be of value or meaning to this man.



I cannot even begin to imagine what this man is going through. I can’t even imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment