Thursday, February 28, 2008

February 28, 2008 - Prattville, AL Tornado

We have been in Prattville for over a week. From what we are being told from the local government, the National Guard will not bring in any equipment and FEMA has decided to show no support. The First Response Team has been working side by side with the local municipality workers and whatever equipment they have available to them. There is no doubt that we have made significant progress in this community. Thanks to Edward we also have a hotel room to sleep in, which we are very thankful for.

Today I was talking with someone, and I noticed a sophisticated looking man out of the corner of my eye, leaning up against his recent model pickup truck. He walked up to me and tried to speak but his lip began to quiver and nothing came out of his mouth. I knew he wanted to say something but because he was holding back his tears so hard nothing would come out. Finally the words came out of his mouth and with tears coming down his face he said, “That pile…that pile of my house…you cleaned it up for me. I can't tell you…you’ll never know how much it meant that you came and helped me. I feel like I can start again.” The man turned around immediately and walked back toward his truck and drove away. I don’t think I will ever have a chance to meet that man again. I don’t know who he was or which home site he lived on but I can’t help but be moved by what happened today.

I constantly find myself wondering what it is like for these people to lose everything. I’m not sure I will ever know until it happens to me but I do know I want to keep being here for these people and these communities as more disasters continue to happen in America. I wonder sometimes if it’s not necessarily what we do for these people but that something is happening…and happening quickly. It translates into that fact that it won’t be this way forever – progress is happening, people care, and the rebuilding process is beginning and will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment